The Best Park and Ride System Ever
Try and park in the main city centre of Leiden and you are likely to end up with a headache. So skip the hassle and park in the P&R Leiden Haagweg instead. The prices are reasonable but even better is the system. After parking your car, head to one of the waiting shuttle buses which will take you (and anyone else who is waiting) to a drop off point of your choice. When you have finished your day in Leiden, just call the shuttle bus (the number is on your parking ticket) and tell them where you are. Before you know it, a shuttle bus will arrive and take you back to your car.
Leiden has some of the best views around. Waterways, churches, bridges and even a windmill await you. And since it is less crowded than Amsterdam, it is almost impossible to come away without some good photos.
The Leidse Loper
The Leidse Loper (Leiden Loop) is a self-guided city walk around the historic city centre of Leiden. Believe it or not but the street plan of Leiden has hardly changed since the 17th century and this walk will ensure you don’t miss the best bits. The Leidse Loper route is indicated by signposts around the city but you can also purchase a guidebook at the tourism office across from the train station.
A Treasure Trove Full of Surprises
Near the Gothic Hooglandse Kerk, on Nieuwstraat 23 is a small Anterieur that is only open on Saturday afternoons. The building which looks like it hasn’t been touched since it was built is jam packed with antiques and oddities – some worth getting your money out for and others that leave you scratching your head in confusion. If you happen to be in the area when it is open, do check it out.
A Colourful Market
On Wednesdays and Saturdays the streets of Botermarkt, Vismarkt, Aalmarkt and the Nieuwe Rijn come to life with the street market. Whether you are looking for fish, flowers, cheese or just want to people watch this is the place to be. Glimpses of the historical city as you shop sure don’t hurt either
Leiden has some wonderful museums, which are absolutely worth visiting:
- Museum Boerhaave | The Netherlands has a great history in the development of science and medicine. Museum Boerhaave shows over five centuries of inventions and discoveries in several sciences.
- Naturalis | our scientific research aims to understand the development of biodiversity and the interaction between species. The natural history collection of Naturalis Biodiversity Center is the 5th largest in the world with 37 million objects.
- Hortus Botanicus Leiden | A green treasure hidden in the historical centre of Leiden. Founded in 1590, this is the oldest botanical garden in the Netherlands and one of the oldest in the world.
- Rijksmuseum van Oudheden | The Dutch National Museum of Antiquities is the national center of archaeology where you can appreciate the cultures of ancient Egypt, the Near East, the classical world and the early Netherlands.
- Museum van Volkenkunde | The national Museum of Ethnology is the world’s oldest ethnographical museum.